I was planning to leave today.
Moved out of my guesthouse, collected my laundry, went to the post-office to get stamps, bought postcards.... The only errand left was to nip by the hospital, and have the doctor eye over my toe before I left.
That was the plan.
The toe is still infected... and possibly worse than it was before. Something about an infected nail bed, which didn't sound very pleasant. He suggested I have him remove the whole nail, which sounded even more unpleasant... so I opted for the less drastic cut me open, squeeze out some more icky stuff, and give me a load more antibiotics.
Realisticlly, I've had this thing for over 3 weeks now. Although, It's only in the last week that I've actually had professions looking at it. I repeatedly asked if there was any risk of my toe having to be cut off, and he said no...
Were I from any civilized western country (read: not the US), I would continue with my travels, and then have it taken care of when I get home.
However, I live in the US, and much worse - I'm not covered by health insurance right now. I'm planning to get a short term policy to cover me when I get back (until my Uni insurance starts in August)... but there is one major problem... "Pre-existing conditions".
Any insurance I get won't cover anything that already happened.. and you have to pay the first couple hundred out of pocket in any case.. so I'm going to be screwed.
So, what to do?
I want to go to Laos - but it's one of the poorest countries in the world. And it's not like i'm going to be hanging out in the capital. I'm off to a remote village in one of the world's poorest countries... So it's not particularly wise to go out there with an in-progress medical problem.
Logic would dictate that I stay in Thailand, (but leaving Pai, and heading to Chiang Mai), and take care of all this medical business while I still have 1. Travel Insurance, and 2. Cheap hospitals.
However... I really really really want to go to Laos. Really.
My plans are delayed somewhat anyway, as there was no bus to the border today. So I have to wait until tomorrow.
When I wake up tomorrow, we'll see how I feel. I may go to Laos, return to Bangkok early (2-3 days), go to a hospital there, and have them cut me open again before I get back on the plane....